Dear Summit Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to school! As we kick off the 2022-2023 academic year, the Summit Education Foundation (SEF) pledges our unwavering commitment, to support public schools as safe, welcoming, diverse and inclusive places to learn.
The mission of the Summit Educational Foundation is to maintain and enhance the high quality of a Summit, New Jersey public school education and ensure that all students receive the best education possible by encouraging creativity and innovation. We achieve this through generous community donations, a close working relationship with the school district, and careful review, evaluation and financial oversight of supported initiatives.
In the past year, SEF has significantly contributed to the educational experience of Summit students with the funded grants.
LCJSMS/SHS Grants Highlights:
• Peer Leadership program at both LCJSMS and SHS.
• Artist workshop series at both LCJSMS and SHS
• A program that teaches students how to transition from block coding to python programming at LCJSMS • Expanded ceramics program including a new pug mill at SHS
• Battle of the Books at LCJSMS
• More than $100,000 to update the SHS weight room
• New Wenger Sound Lok studio at SHS
District Highlights include:
• 35 Years of Partnering with Summit Public Schools
• 4,000 Students Positively Impacted Every Year
• $8M in Science, Literacy, Math, Technology and Arts Education Grants
• 450+ Grants in the Past 3 Years
• $876K for the SEF Innovation Labs in all 5 Elementary Schools for the 2022-2023 School Year • Nearly $100K in Covid-19 Related Grants over the past 2 years
SEF funds initiatives to help ensure academic excellence in the Summit Public Schools. We are comprised of parents, teachers, and community members – people committed to providing the best public school education possible for our children. Each year, more than 100 volunteers give their time and talent to help advance our mission and about 600 families make financial contributions. To get involved as a volunteer, please contact your child/ren’s school SEF Representatives or one of our Board members.
Every Financial Contribution Makes a Difference! There are thousands of reasons to give! Your donation to the Summit Educational Foundation will directly support grants that provide a wide variety of learning experiences and opportunities that prepare our students for educational and occupational success. Simply put, school budgets are tight, and SEF enables teachers and administrators to do more. As Superintendent Hough said, “SEF helps to make the district whole”. We are grateful to all families who support SEF – no matter the amount, your donation is critical. You can submit the attached envelope to your school, mail directly to us, or donate online at www.sefnj.org/donate.
We wish your family all the best for a successful and enriching school year.
Sincerely, Amy Burke,President, Melissa Madden,Co-Vice President, Heather Thomas,Co-Vice President P.O. Box 268 • Summit, New Jersey 07902-0268 • www.sefnj.org
SEF is a non-profit 501(c)3 foundation.
Donations are fully tax-deductible and qualify for corporate matching gifts programs. SEF is a United Way designee.